This site features the work of John McQuiston.
Learn more at photoquist.com.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Dirt Bike Photographs from Croom Motorcycle Park

Saturday I shot horsepower that did not involve horses. The organizer of the photo group I often shoot with also rides dirt bikes at Croom Motorcycle Park in Hernando County. He'll be on bike #43 in the photo montage below. Despite excellent weather, there weren't many riders. Our guess was that a bike week and a big race at Daytona siphoned off many of the usual Croom crowd.

I shot more than 800 frames of the same five shots. A lot of burst mode! I did capture two kids crashing but the soft sand that can make turns difficult also cushions riders who go down. Both kids were OK, though getting out from beneath the bikes took more exertion than riding them.

The soft sand also made the bikes look like surfboards cutting through waves in some shots. In others the bikes kicked up "rooster tails" behind them that helped illustrate their power. All in all, it was a cool thing to shoot and looking at the photos gives me a better idea of which things to focus on if I go back.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |

Blog Archive